Wednesday, August 12, 2009

the getty villa



Last weekend, we went to the Getty Villa in Malibu. It was my third time to get the tickets--they are free, but you have to reserve room for you. The first time I planned to go there, we ended up arriving in Malibu terribly late; the second time, my friend was sick and we canceled it. So it was "sando me no syoujiki" (third time luck) for me, and after hearing a lot about its beauty, I was expecting a lot.

Which maybe I shouldn't have.

It was a very pretty place. Great architecture. Beautiful flowers. I guess my problem was that I expected the Getty Center, that wide-open view. The Villa felt a little too small, and a little too crowded. Everything looked gorgeous, but it was just too much cramped in such small space, with too many people. Maybe it's Malibu; the place has that feeling of cramped-ness despite its beauty and luxury.

Perhaps, I would've enjoyed it in a different way if I was more interested in art. I like to look at paintings, but not so much at pots and vases. The only things I enjoyed at the Villa were the big chimaera statue and the tongue-sticking creature.


I wish I had better eyes for art.

True I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be, but it was still an experience. And I enjoyed watching people if not the art or the scenery. They were all over! (Well, we were...).




And I got another pig to add to my collection. If you're wondering, it's a rattle that babies used in ancient Greece.


No comments:

Post a Comment